Acorn 5.6 is a new image editor built with one goal in mind – simplicity. Fast, easy, and fluid, Acorn provides the options you’ll need without any overhead. Acorn feels right, and won’t drain your bank account.
- Take screenshots using Acorn and edit them right away.
- Chain together image filters to create stunning effects.
- Layer based image editing, an industry standard.
- Make new images and layers using your built-in iSight.
- Easy image and canvas resizing, just by changing the size of your window.
- Take advantage of every pixel of your monitor with full screen image editing.
- Tablet sensitive for pressure strokes and using the tablet’s eraser.
- Vector shape and text layers.
- Freeform, elliptical, rectangular, and magic wand selections.
- Create and apply custom text styles.
- Control opacity and blending modes for each layer.
- Write plugins using the Python scripting language, as well as in Objective-C.
- GPU powered. The same graphics card that makes your gaming experience smooth, helps Acorn fly through the toughest of graphics operations.
What’s New in Version 5.6:
New Macbook Pro Touch Bar Things:
- Brush tools on bitmap layers: Change the size, opacity, and softness of your brushes.
- When no images are open, Acorn will a New button and show a list of recently opened images in Touch Bar, which you can tap to open.
- General canvas: Fill & stroke color widgets, share widgets, canvas rotate / flip.
- Crop: Rotate left & right, Crop button.
- Scale and Transform: Rotate left & right, Apply button.
- Free Transform: Flip your layer vertically or horizontally.
- Shape Layers: If you have two or more shapes selected, you’ll get a boolean operation popover, which lets you then use the union/difference/exclude/intersect operations.
- Shape Layers: If you have two or more shapes selected, you’ll also get alignment options for those shapes.
- Shape Layers: Turn fill and stroke on and off for selected shapes.
- Shape Layer Stars: You can adjust the number of points selected stars have using Touch Bar.
Edit In Acorn From Photos:
- We’ve added a new Photos extension, which will let you edit your photo in Acorn (available for macOS 10.11 and 10.12+).
- Acorn supports tabs if you are on 10.12 or later. Drag and drop between the layers list and other tabs, it’s pretty awesome.
- Fixed a problem where histograms were calculating incorrect data for transparent areas.
- Fixed a bug where the Text Splitter Processor wasn’t working correctly for Circle Text.
- Fixed a bug where trying to copy when no layer was currently selected would lead to an error.
- Fixed a bug where Acorn couldn’t open up some older files where text boxes were set with interesting colors.
- Fixed a bug where Acorn could become unstable when bringing up the canvas contextual menu item from a SVG file.
- Fixed a problem where opening up iPhone 7 RAW images on macOS Sierra wouldn’t show a correct preview in the RAW Import window.
- Added a check for the 3rd party filter “SobelEdgeDetectorUnit.plugin”, which was crashing Acorn in macOS Sierra.
- Fixed a problem where the cursor for the clone tool with the tool tip enabled would draw in the wrong location on retina displays.
- Acorn no longer requires the discrete graphics card to be in use for MacBook Pros.
- The text palette now has an added level of precision for the baseline, kerning, line height, and paragraph spacing fields.
- New hidden pref to turn on auto-scrolling for various canvas operations: defaults write com.flyingmeat.Acorn5 autoAutoScroll 1
1. Unpack and install
2. Go through Installation Guide provided in File